Calvary Academy is happy to report that we have experienced many years of successfully educating international students. This experience has given us a perspective that may be helpful to you as you consider enrolling at our school. As you may know, we are not a boarding school. Typically our international students reside with host families from our school or church community. Research has proven that students gain proficiency in English more quickly when they are able to reside with an American family, than with a family within the same language and culture background.
Entering school in America is a very difficult challenge. When confronted by a new culture, language and school it can be extremely stressful. Therefore it is important that the students have strong academic skills, solid personal character, a desire to grow in Christ and a level of maturity that allows them to assume serious personal responsibility for daily living.
Some advice we would have for parents and students’ considering an education at our school is:
- Develop as much English proficiency before arriving in the U.S.
- Select activities in addition to your classes that provide a time for more socialization like yearbook, music and sports.
- Apply yourself diligently at your academic work.
- Ask questions freely with boldness.
We have noticed that a level of English proficiency before coming to Calvary Academy is a key to success. This is especially true if the student is to enter grade 9 or above. High school credits are critical for graduation.
Since students will be living in American host homes, it is important that you understand our perspective on this arrangement. Some schools and or families would view this as a boarder/renter situation. This is not how it is viewed by us. The monthly stipend is to cover room, board and supervisory responsibilities, but the international student is expected to become part of the host family.
Points of information related to host family arrangements:
- Normal standards of the home apply to the international student.
- The student is expected to attend church and youth group activities with the family.
- Conferences at the school regarding a student’s work will be attended by the host family.
- The student will not have host home services during the summer months unless arrangements are made due to Summer ESL classes.
- The host family will provide transportation for academic tutoring, music lessons, or other normal needs.
- The length of commitment of the host family is for only one year but may be renewed.
Interested students from China:
Calvary Academy has partnered with Three W International to enroll international students from China. If you are a student, parent, or agent from the region of China and are interested in applying to Calvary Academy, please contact them by clicking here.